In this tutorial, we will tell you how to add subpages often referred to as “Child Pages” to your WordPress site.
This is done in two stages
Creating the page
- Click on the pages link in left nav of admin
- Click “Add New” button at top of page
- On the right-hand side of the page, you will see a box with heading “page attributes”
- Open the drop-down under subtitle “parent” by clicking the little arrow.
- Select the page that you would like this new page to go under.
- Create your page and click “publish”
This has created the subpage under the parent page you chose. Because it is a subpage it will not automatically appear in your main navigation bar on your website like top level pages do.
Adding The New Page To The Navigation On Your Site
We now need to add this page as a subpage to the navigation on your site we do this as follows
- In WordPress admin mouse over “appearance” and select “menus” from the pop out.
- At the top of the page check you are working on the correct menu most sites will only have one to choose from unless you added more.
- Now in the left area marked pages check/tick the box next to the subpage you just created and click the “Add to menu” button.
- If you now scroll down a little you will see a new bar added to the list of menu items.
- Click on that bar and hold down your mouse button and simply drag it underneath the page you want this page to be a subpage of and let go of your mouse button to drop it in place.
- Now Click and hold the new page item again and drag it to the right a little so that it is indented below its parent page see image below
Click “Save Menu” at the top right of the page
That’s it go to your site, refresh the page and mouse over the parent page and your subpage should appear as a drop down.